Thursday, May 27, 2010

Life these days...

It's slower than it has been for some time. That's a good thing. :) I've had time to work in my garden, to put more music on my MP3 player (birthday gift!), to get some of my own sewing started. It's nice to have little bits of breaks, but that doesn't mean I'm bored by any stretch of the imagination...

I'm going to make muffins tomorrow--I think. I should probably do it in the morning before it gets too hot. The weather is finally getting really warm. My garden will be happy.

I went thrift shopping with my mom and sisters today. Apparently such shopping puts me in a bad mood...no comment. :D I did find a couple of brand-new books for really good prices; one of them is a hardcover copy of Safely Home by Randy Alcorn.

Our Living History group is putting on a special drama program for 4th of July. It's going to be great; I'm looking forward to it. We've done this particular drama before, but I'm taking a different part this time so I have a new set of lines to learn. I need to start figuring out who my character is and why she thinks and says what she does. I actually really enjoy drama, though if you'd told me 8 or 10 years ago that I would learn to love acting I would probably have stared at you uncomprehendingly. :)

I worked in my garden for several hours on Tuesday...I listened to the entire FOTF Radio Theatre production of Little Women while I was at it.  I have grown to really enjoy it (the Little Women Radio Theatre, that is), though the first time I heard it I was not that impressed. It improves with acquaintance. I love the humor and the realism of it; it makes me laugh every time. (For some of you it would probably make you cry every time, too, if we must keep a balanced perspective here...) Some of the lines are just hilarious. I can't show you the inflections, but here are some that make me smile every time.  They may not make much sense out of context, but we'll give it a try...

Jo (defensively): "I was only saying what everyone was thinking."

Meg: "Thinking is thinking and speaking is speaking and you must learn that one does NOT necessitate the other!"
*********
John Brooke:  "Good afternoon. I came to fetch my umbrella--uh, that is, to see how your father finds himself today."

Jo: "It's very well, he's in the rack, I'll get him, and tell it you are here.  [walking through]  Meg!!!  It's Mr. Brooke to see his umbrella!  ...or Papa."
*********

Jo finds Meg and John Brooke newly engaged:

Jo: "Mr. Brooke!!"

John: "Well, Sister Jo, won't you congratulate us?"

Jo:  "NO!  Go away!  Marmee, HELP!  Come quick--everyone's gone crazy!  John Brooke is acting dreadfully and--Meg LIKES it!"

 :)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm still waiting for slower to arrive. There's a slight break this week with much of the family being gone (only five of us home, and things are terribly quiet at times). Right at the moment, slower just means I'm ignoring the many projects that clamor for my attention.

Thrift shopping usually makes me happy. Mall shopping puts me in a bad mood. Considering that I've done the latter four times already this spring and not augmented my wardrobe at all, it makes me very unhappy. Maybe I should try the first. My patience for any shopping is depleted in two hours or less.

I love your quotes from Little Women. Maybe I'll look for that when I'm done with my current audiobooks.

Sarah said...

The only reason that mall shopping would make me in a bad mood is that I can't buy all of the clothes because they're so expensive. :P