Friday, June 4, 2010

Book Sale Finds

Today Rebecca and I went to our county's bi-annual book sale.  And in a remarkable feat of self-control, we came home with only one box of books between the two of us!  I'm happy about my new books, though I have yet to find homes for them.  Rebecca got at the History section before I did so she had some great finds there, but I scrounged up some goodies among the other sections:

A lovely old copy of Sir Walter Scott's Lady of the Lake, and another old book:  Nicholas Nickleby.  I haven't read it, but it's been on my Dickens To-Read List for a good long time.

I was roaming the "Religion/Philosophy" section, inwardly bemoaning the fact that nobody seems to have the good sense to send their C. S. Lewis books to the library book sale for me to find.  Well, on the other side of the table a copy of Miracles showed up!  I was happy.  :)   Even better, while digging through the boxes of books on the Literature side of the room I found a Lewis book that I hadn't even known of:  On Stories, and Other Essays on Literature.  I can't wait to read it.

I found nearly new copies of A Chance To Die by Amy Carmichael and Through Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth Elliot.  I've read both before, but it's always nice to have one's own copy.

Hospital Sketches for a dollar, a copy of The Family Circus Treasury that has helped keep my sisters amused this afternoon, and several classical CDs for a dollar apiece helped round out my half of that box.  And of course I picked up a couple of books pertaining to Rev War history, and a few things for my family and friends who couldn't make it...

I have so many good books to read now.  Good thing it's summertime.   :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like a wonderful treasure hunt! I was disappointed with our library book sale's lack of organization and only came home with a couple of books on music which I have yet to read. It's just too hard to look when the categories are too broad.

Sarah said...

lol, you make it sound like you have trouble keeping us amused.