Through March and April I made three British coats for my brother and two friends, all members of our Living History group. Here are some pictures and statistics:
Pattern: Pegee of Williamsburg's 1770's Coat Pattern (same one I used for Andrew's coat)
Fabric: red melton wool and off-white wool flannel from B. Black and Sons; black melton wool from Denver Fabrics; off-white linen, unknown source (probably Denver Fabrics)
Buttons: pewter (gold-plated, in the case of the Joe's officers' coat) 64th Regiment of Foot buttons from Najecki
Trim: assorted appropriate trim from either G. G. Godwin or Najecki
40 buttonholes, 40 buttons, 7 or 8 hooks and eyes, 1 or 2 hidden pockets, and 42 button lacings per coat. Rebecca patiently sewed on Michael's and William's lacings by hand and did an incredible job. I spent about 30 hours on Joe's coat, 15-16 hours apiece for the others (because Rebecca did the lacings).

Photo credits for this photo to Holly Patterson, April 2010
Joe as Captain Ratclyffe, William as Sergeant C (we can't remember his name), Michael as Private MacKay
Assorted notes from the process:
Finishing off multiple spools of thread is a most satisfactory feeling. It gives one such a sense of accomplishment.
The way you think something will be easiest isn't always the way it is easiest.
Working on challenging things late at night may not be the best way to keep your spirits up. Things look better (both literally and figuratively) in the morning.
Red and black wool fuzz does get all over. Really. It's like dust in the sewing room, and it infests the ironing board... Fortunately it's not very visible, so nobody noticed that I had it on my white concert shirt...we hope. :)
Listening to Mary Poppins when the going gets tough is a great way to keep up morale.
Finishing is a Very Good Thing. Even if it's at 1:30 AM of the day the coats are to be worn.
And I'd very likely do it again. After all, I'm getting better at it. :D It might tamper with my loyalties, though. It must have been all the work I put into them...this Patriot girl almost caught herself cheering for the wrong side in the battle. :D
You can see a little more detail here... Lieutenant (pronounced Lef-tenant) Fox (his drama character is different than his persona) and Captain Ratclyffe. When I see "lieutenant" in print now, I think "lef-tenant". Just a random side note.
Sort of a side view, showing the hearts on the turnbacks. They're made of black wool, ironed on with that sticky stuff--oh yes, fusible web--and satin stitched by machine.
Photo credits for bottom four photos to Sarah




6 comments:
Wow Rachel! Those redcoats look great!:)
It's actually spelled: MacKay.
Amazing work and details!
Those coats look impressive all lined up. I’m quite amused that when I see some of your work, I'm usually not looking at the general effect. I'm usually thinking of the time it took to work all those details. ;) All that work turned into a wonderful presentation. Definitely impressive.
...Even a single coat of such detail is impressive. :)
Hmm... :) How obvious this was. ;)
Post a Comment