
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is one of the best books on the Christian life that I have ever read. It's a series of twenty-two sermons by D. Martin Lloyd-Jones on the subject of spiritual depression, or the condition of being a downcast, dispirited Christian. He takes the subject logically, working through a number of causes for such a condition, using stories from Scripture as case studies. Topics of discussion include the importance of solid Christian foundations, vain regrets, fear of the future, the place of feelings, "looking at the waves" (from the story of Peter walking on water), faith, trials (and keeping the balance between grief and rejoicing), contentment, and much more. I'll definitely be getting a copy of this one--it's one of those books that I'll probably need to be reading for the rest of my life.
"This, then, is the prescription... Do what He has told you to do. Live the Christian life. Pray, and meditate upon Him. Spend time with Him and ask Him to manifest Himself to you. And as long as you do that you can leave the rest to Him. He will give you strength--"as thy days so shall they strength be'. He knows us better than we know ourselves, and according to our need so will be our supply. Do that and you will be able to say with the apostle: 'I am able (made strong) for all things through the One who is constantly infusing strength into me'." View all my reviews >>
2 comments:
The name of the author gives it away as being an excellent book! I will have to look into getting it. Not sure how much "hefty" reading I can handle at this time of my life though... someday, I am going to curl up and read books again. ;)
Sounds excellent! I love books the way you described it as a book to be kept and read for the rest of a lifetime. I'm reading a book like that right now.
Post a Comment