I thought about just not posting another hymn, but decided against it. This one will be easy for me, though, because I already know it top-to-bottom. (If you come to the recital you may figure out why.) It's another contemporary one and we were introduced to it by The Irish Tenors. John McDermott sings it on their CD Sacred.
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure,
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss –
The Father turns His face away,
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory.
Behold the man upon the cross,
My sin upon His shoulders;
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers.
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished;
His dying breath has brought me life –
I know that it is finished.
I will not boast in anything,
No gifts, no power, no wisdom;
But I will boast in Jesus Christ,
His death and resurrection.
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer;
But this I know with all my heart –
His wounds have paid my ransom.
Words and Music by Stuart Townend, 1995
6 comments:
Oh, I have always wondered what the words were! I've heard it often (from orchestral CD's and your family singing it) but have never known all of the words before. Thanks for posting them!
Oh, yeah! I knew I'd heard this song before, so I started digging through my music. I found it in my Glad collection. It is on the A Cappella Worship, Vol. 2 disc.
Good stuff! Thanks!
If you start playing it, I'm liable to start singing.. (You might consider limiting your invitees)
Wow! I love that song. The Irish Tenors are awsome to listen to. To bad their cds cost so much :(
You're welcome!
Steve, I'll have to look up that recording. I know the boys have listened to some stuff by Glad, but I don't recall hearing this song.
Southern Belle, have you checked Irish Tenors recordings on Amazon? If you don't mind getting something used you can find decent deals there.
Ohhh....Southern Belle, I think I know who you are. ;) Just visited David's blog and looked at comments on one of his posts. So, Hello Mary! (Rebecca did let me know that she was giving you my link--glad you can visit!)
Thanks for the welcome and the info. I'd love to buy more Irish Tenor cds.
Post a Comment