The orchestration course in Indianapolis was good. Tim Fisher of SMS was our instructor, and the subject matter was basically how to score music for orchestra. He knows what he's doing and is a lot of fun, too; a good combination for a teacher. We spent a lot of time talking about the uses of different instruments and looking at scores.
Some professional musicians came in and talked about their instruments with us. That was a lot of fun; some of these professional musicians have the most hilarious personalities. Here is Mr. Perry, the trumpet player, demonstrating the hat mute. Gershwin apparently wrote music to be muted with the crown of a felt hat.

One of the highlights of the week for me was our field trip to Aire Born Studios near Indy. A lot of music that we listen to was recorded here; Majesty Music, the Wilds, SMS, and IBLP all make use of these studios. I found it all fascinating.
Foreground: producer's desk. Center: the Big Recording Machine (can't remember the official title). In the back, you can see through the glass into the studio.
Learning about mixing. You can change or fix practically anything.

So, that's it for trip pictures. 'Twas a good time; I'm glad I was able to go!
One of the highlights of the week for me was our field trip to Aire Born Studios near Indy. A lot of music that we listen to was recorded here; Majesty Music, the Wilds, SMS, and IBLP all make use of these studios. I found it all fascinating.
Dr. Fisher on the podium in the big studio
So, that's it for trip pictures. 'Twas a good time; I'm glad I was able to go!
4 comments:
Hope you don't mind my commenting so often, but I couldn't help but say that I loved seeing this batch of photos!
Do you think you'll ever record there? =)
Comment as much as you'd like, Cheri! :) I don't anticipate recording at Aire Born...if I were to do a piano recording I might try for a local studio and I don't have anywhere near the $25,000-$40,000 needed for an orchestral recording.
::picks up jaw up from off the floor::
It would cost THAT much?! Yikes! You should do a piano CD sometime though, if the Lord leads. =)
Yes...it's not exactly cheap. Dr. Fisher said it's about $1500 an hour for the orchestra, and that probably doesn't include the money for the studio. They actually manage to record really quickly--usually it's a straight run through, sight-reading, and then they record. Still, add that to studio fees and mixing time and you've got a LARGE amount of money. I'm wondering how long it would take for a project like that to pay for itself.
Post a Comment