
I want you all to meet one of my favorite Christmas stories:
A gruff and lonely woodcarver comes to a strange town and sets up his business. Though his work is the best in the valley, he never warms up to the people. The children call him Mr. Gloomy. At night he sits alone, staring into the fire.
Not long before Christmas a young widow and her son ask him to carve a manger scene. He agrees, though to him “Christmas is pish-posh”. He soon realizes that he might have gotten more than he anticipated, though, when young Thomas asks to watch him at work.
This is a lovely story of healing and hope and Christmas. It's worth reading for the artwork alone; the watercolors are beautiful, full of sensitivity and life. The details are incredible. A special story, one to be read each year by Christmas-tree-light...
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
View all my reviews
1 comment:
That's the kind of children's Christmas story I love -- a story understandable for children with depth they continue to discover, beautifully illustrated. And speaking truth. I read a whole stack of children's Christmas stories to a little girl I was babysitting, and I wouldn't care to read any one of those again due to inaccuracy, triviality, or unattractive illustrations and awkward writing. It's nice to hear about one that's really good.
Post a Comment