I went to visit my friends in the mountains this past weekend. I didn't bring a camera...but here are some word pictures of my favorite moments.
Standing up on the rocks overlooking a green valley, in the sun, during a rainstorm. There was a beautiful rainbow against the dark clouds to the east.
Sitting on the pine-needle-covered ground on a warm afternoon, my back against a rock, looking through trees into the valley. The dry piney smell of the Rockies. Reading and writing, sorting out thoughts.
Walking at sunset, up the hill and down into the next valley where the sun lit everything with a golden glowing light. Sunshine catching the flick of a horse's tail.
Wading (carefully!) in a mountain river with the little kids. Teaching them how I used to make grass boats when I was little. Holding hands to walk out into the deep fast-flowing water, dropping our boats, and then madly scrambling to the shore and down the bank to watch them float by.
An aspen grove in sunset light. Wild columbines, periwinkle and cream and delicate on long stems.
2 comments:
Your pictures are beautiful,
Rachel. Thankyou for giving us a glimpse into your lovely trip!
Beautiful word pictures. I could almost see everything.
Columbine might be my favorite flower... but that's about as easy as naming a favorite hymn!
Post a Comment