Let Me Be A Woman is a collection of letters written by Mrs. Elliot to her daughter Valerie as Valerie prepared to be married. She discusses what it means to be a woman, singleness and marriage, the differences between men and women, what makes a marriage work, the real meaning of love, and more.
I also enjoyed the little shared memories and observations of the beautiful Cape Cod area where she was staying that are interspersed with the more serious topics...things like "...I have been up to the Coast Guard station on my bicycle and seen thirty-one rabbits and two deer and looked through the pay telescope at the rusted hulk of the tanker Pendleton which was wrecked in 1952." :)
Excellent book; this one goes on my worth re-reading list. (Though I would hesitate to recommend a few of the chapters for younger readers.)
"This gift for this day. The life of faith is loved one day at a time, and it has to be lived--not always looked forward to as thought the "real" living were around the next corner. It is today for which we are responsible. God still owns tomorrow."
2 comments:
I have this book on my 'Want To Read List' so thank you for your thoughts on it Rachel! I'll have to see if I can find it on my next trip to the library.:)
Was this the first time you've read it? It *is* excellent isn't it? One of my favorite books to read that is written by a woman for women.
Post a Comment