Tuesday, February 3, 2009

More on the Scholls

In December I read At The Heart of the White Rose: Letters and Diaries of Hans and Sophie Scholl. It was quite an enjoyable read; getting a glimpse of the inner lives of this brother and sister who died in the German Resistance was interesting and thought-provoking. Here are some favorite quotes:


Sophie to Lisa, Aug. 11, 1941
"Sometimes, and especially of late, I've felt that it's grossly unfair to have to live in an age so filled with momentous events. But that's nonsense, of course. Perhaps we're really being presented with scope of direct outside action, though it seems as if our sole function is to wait. That's hard, and one's patience often wears thin, and one longs to set oneself another, more promising and easily attainable goal."

Sophie's Diary, Feb. 12, 1942
"When I look at the people around me, and also at myself, I feel awed by humanity because God came down to earth for its sake. On the other hand, this is what always strikes me as most incomprehensible. Yes, what I understand least about God is His love. But what if I didn't know about it!......Yes, one should always bear in mind, when dealing with other people, that God became man on their account. To think that one feels too good to condescend to many of them! What arrogance! Where on earth did I get it from?"

Hans to his family--March 18, 1942 (he knew that their mail was being 'monitored' by the Gestapo)
"I don't know if you received my last letter, because Mother's made no mention of it. The mail I get here is very irregular. I really sympathize with the Gestapo, having to decipher all those different handwritings, some of which are highly illegible, but that's what they're paid to do, and duty is duty, gentlemen, isn't it!"

Sophie's diary, August 9, 1942
"Many people believe that our age is the last. All the omens are terrible enough to make one think so, but isn't that belief of secondary importance? Mustn't we all, no matter what age we live in, be permanently prepared for God to call us to account from one moment to the next?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Rachel, these are very encouraging and relevant. Thanks for sharing these "keepers."

Your posts make me want to do a blog... soon, hopefully.

Love you & miss you! ~Lisa

Unknown said...

Inspiring. I'm glad the copy on reserve at the library should soon be returned and headed my way. Actually, I didn't find "At the heart..." just the other one. But that one is still good, isn't it? Hopefully I'll get it finished before it's due this time. ;)

Cheri said...

You came to mind today as I was eating some left over veggie pizza. Random, I know. =) But since you came to mind, it prompted me to pray for you. Trust you are doing well and living in the lavish love of Christ!