Christmas is coming! Our tree is up, lit, and decorated. My grandparent's old nativity is over the fireplace, and we've started listening to Christmas music. Therein lies the problem...
We've never had a lot of good Christmas CDs. The few that we really like have either disappeared (??) or become so familiar that we don't always enjoy them as much as we used to. So, I'm wondering if you have any favorite Christmas CDs to recommend. Leave a comment and tell us about them--title, artist, and any other pertinent info. Thanks!
Note: Obviously, I have not listened to everything that will be mentioned here--so I can't necessarily vouch for it. As always, use discretion in your listening. :)
8 comments:
Yay - I love Christmastime. Due to busyness I'm kind of lagging with decorations and getting into the spirit of it...
Anyway, per your question. I LOVE Point of Grace's first Christmas Album as well as some of the stuff by Trans Siberian orchestra.
This might qualify me as a nut but Reliant K put out a Christmas Album a few years ago that I really like, but I don't own.
I was telling Erin the same things yesterday. We are constantly just listening to a CD or two and I am sick of them! We do have more Christmas CD's, so I have no clue as to why we don't turn them on more!
One CD that I picked up in Indy last year (or was it the year before?) was by the Steve Pettit Team called, "Long Time Ago." I really like it, and will often listen to it when I'm sewing. Here is the webpage on it: http://www.spea.org/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=59&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4
Jaime Jorge (www.jaimejorge.com) has a Christmas CD, and though I have to skip over a couple of songs, the songs with orchestra give me goosebumps. =) Very beautiful.
The Probasco's gave us a CD a couple years ago called, "Joy to the World" by Acoustic Eidolon. It's a CD of Christmas songs played on cello and guitjo. I wouldn't agree the lifestyle of the artists or some of the other songs/CDs they have, but this CD has some lovely songs on it.. my favorite song is "O Holy Night". (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B00075JY9Q001007/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_007)
The CD link...
http://www.amazon.com/Joy-World-Acoustic-Eidolon/dp/B00075JY9Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1196366181&sr=8-6
It's not our absolute #1 favorite Christmas CD, but it's very pretty!! :)
Thanks everyone! Cheri, I didn't know the Petit group has a Christmas CD. I have really enjoyed some of their other music. I'll have to look into some of these.
Any other recommendations?
You all may have already collected most of the Majesty Music Christmas cds, but just in case...
1. Back to Bach Christmas (I have the book to this one if you ever wanted to look through it) - In Baroque style, not just arrangements of his works with the carols.
2. Christmas Meditations
3. Majesty Strings Christmas
4. What Child is This? - Hammered Dulcimer and Classical Guitar.
5. Carol McClure's Christmas Harp - I didn't see this one on the Majesty website and I'm not sure if that is where we found it. It actually isn't listed on her website, but there were a couple other Christmas cds there.
http://www.dxmarket.com/
carolmcclure/dir/index.html
6. Classic Christmas Brass - this is Ben's favorite. The National Philharmonic Brass of London performs under Larry Dalton and the case says Integrity Music, but I only found it used on Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/
Classic-Christmas-Brass-Larry-
Dalton/dp/B00008F8BL
or directly from England:
http://www.eden.co.uk/shop/
classic_christmas_brass_cd_
57104.html
Nathan Clark George performs every year at Family Camp. For the most part, we don't care for much of his stuff, but he did sing a song from his Christmas album (A Midwinter's Eve) that was beautiful. It's entitled "Remember, O Thou Man" and was written in 1611. I purchased the mp3 of this song and (if I remember :) I'll try to get Ben to burn me a disc and bring it to you. I honestly don't know what the rest of this cd is like.
Guess what? WE FOUND OUR MISSING CHRISTMAS CDS!! YAY!!! =)
Eugene Ormandy and the Philidelphia Orchestra have two great Christmas CD's: Joy to the World and Glorious Sounds of Christmas that are favorites of ours. We are actually quite sick of any Christmas music right now (I'm sure you understand ;)... isn't that sad? Maybe next year we can enjoy it again in it's proper season! :)
Well, the "Merry Christmas from the Chipmunks" CD was pretty good. =)
Post a Comment