
Picture a large warehouse-like room filled with tables of books, lined up with the bindings facing up in three long rows, with additional boxes under the tables....ahhh. I love book sales. Our public library system has a huge one every six months or so, selling tens of thousands of books for extremely low prices, and this past Friday was the first day of such a sale. Our group (Rebecca, Sarah, our friends Hannah and Chavvah, and myself) arrived just as the doors were opening.
Six hours later, we and our five boxes of books went over to the side of the room for a pre-purchase overhaul. Some of the books returned to their places, but most of them came home with us. I had to re-arrange in order to make enough room on our bookshelves. Here's a partial overview of what I got:
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, published in 1903, and New Chronicles of Rebecca, 1907. I read an edited and updated version of these books several times growing up and was delighted to find them for my "old book shelf". ;)
Just David by Eleanor Porter, 1916. I first read this book by the author of Pollyanna on a babysitting job several years ago. (Everyone knows that the best part of babysitting is browsing the bookshelves after the kids are in bed...) Good children's story--I like this one.
Poor and Proud by Oliver Optic (couldn't find a publishing date here). Oliver Optic was a boy's writer in the later half of the 1800s. We've read a number of his books and found them fun, morally upright and engaging. Haven't read this one yet, so that's about all the review I can give.
The Friendships of Women by Dee Brestin. I've been wanting to read this one for a while, so I was happy to find a nearly new copy.
Pooh's Little Instruction Book. How could you resist a book with pieces of wisdom like "In case of Sudden and Temporary Immersion, the Important Thing is to keep the Head Above Water" and "When speaking to a Bear of Very Little Brain, remember that long words may Bother him."?
And that's just part of it. We purchased several other books, and now that I've gotten the shelving situation somewhat worked out, I am looking forward to the spring sale. :)
We finished our our day with a trip to Starbucks and some visiting time (in the car, since it was too cold to sit outside Starbucks). A good end to a good day...
4 comments:
Sounds postively delightful! I noticed you had "Streams in the Desert" in your little stack of books in the photo.. have you read it before? I read that one every day along with my devotions and have been *so* blessed!
Starbucks sounds awfully tempting. :D
I do already have a copy of Streams in the Desert and used it as my primary devotional for a year or so. It is very good and every so often I pull it out again. Couldn't resist the temptation to buy another copy...maybe someone I know doesn't have one! :)
That would be a very lovely day! =) Two wonderful combinations.
Oh the bliss of a building full of books to buy... ;)
Post a Comment