Thursday, January 13, 2011

Two Ways of Taking Walks

1.  Look down and at the path ahead of you, watching every step.  Pay close attention to the snow, and the slush, and the ice, and the road (your general impressions will be a sort of brownish-white).  Think, and then think about what you're thinking about, and analyze.  Don't look up for long; watch your step!

2.  Look up.  Intentionally take notice of the beauty around you.  Notice the snow, and the trees.  Those trees, now.  The blue spruces, and the ponderosas (looking stable and practical) and the slender aspens and the down-to-earth fruit trees.  One of which hasn't figured out that letting go is a good thing and still holds its apples, rather weather-beaten by now.  Look at the sky.  When you do check the path ahead (for safety reasons), notice that the ice on the sidewalk sparkles in the light.

I think I'm preferring way #2.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

:) Can I come take a walk with you? It's treacherously icy out still and -35 windchills aren't exactly the safest thing to be out in. :|

Shannon said...

Uh-huh. I was about halfway through my walk the other day when I realized it was quite a dismal thing and I hadn't gotten one bit happier (the usual result). Then I realized I'd only been looking down. Now today, I was delightedly watching coral pink clouds spread across an aqua sky, and rays of sun sparkling on the snow. Only I was watching the beauty so much that I stepped on the ice and nearly landed on the sidewalk. So do strike a balance. :)