The Railway Children by E. Nesbit was another of my favorite children's books for the year. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Roberta, Peter, and Phyllis as they and their mother moved to the English countryside and got to know the rural land and people—and the trains. Their adventures can be quite funny; the section below made me laugh more than once.
“Hurry up,” said Peter, “or we shall miss the 9:15!”
“I can’t hurry more than I am doing,” said Phyllis. “Oh, bother it! My bootlace has come undone again!”
“When you’re married,” said Peter, “your bootlace will come undone going up the church aisle, and your man that you’re going to get married to will tumble over it and smash his nose in on the ornamented pavement; and then you’ll say you won’t marry him, and you’ll have to be an old maid."
“I shan’t” said Phyllis. “I’d much rather marry a man with his nose smashed in than not marry anybody.”
“It should be horrid to marry a man with a smashed nose all the same,” went on Bobbie. “He shouldn’t be able to smell the flowers at the wedding. Wouldn’t that be awful!”
6 comments:
"The Railway Children" is by far one of my favorite children's books, too. There are a couple of movies out - the older one is good (though not as good as the book) and the end makes me cry every time. I love how Nesbit portrays the children't characters in her writings! I think it's a beautiful book of family togetherness. Christy
That is funny! =)
LOL!
What guy cares about smelling flowers at a wedding?? ;)
I love it!! :)
Ditto Kristin!!!!
I always knew you had some sense. :D
Post a Comment